Sunday, November 11, 2007

Dual Coding Theory

The ad I chose to write about dual coding theory about is a Bud Light commercial. In it there are two men sitting in the opera who have snuck But Light bottles into the show. During a really high note, however, his bottle shatters along with the rest of them in his jacket. The guy sitting in front of them then turns around and holds up a can asking them if it's their first time at the opera.

I found this commercial extremely entertaining. It uses dual coding theory by linking the opera with Bud Light. I know not a huge number of men like going to the opera but this commercial could be meant to symbolize pretty much anything a guy would get dragged into doing by a girl. I know it makes me want a beer just because I can relate to getting conned into something I don't want to do and thinking that a nice refreshing Bud Light would make it a lot more enjoyable, or at least bearable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I looked for this one on TV this weekend, but never saw it. I'll keep watching for it!